Friday, August 12, 2011

Pork Chops in Fig-Balsamic Reduction

  
I came across fresh figs at the grocery store the other day and I immediately wanted to buy them.  I am most familiar with fig in newton form, but I also enjoy a nice fig jam (on good, crusty bread with warm brie and apple slices-- delicious!), and I was excited to see fresh figs.  The figs I purchased were called Brown Turkey, but Mission would also work (dried figs too, I'm sure).  Anyway, this is the surprisingly flavorful, moist, and delicious pork dish that I produced.

Pork Chops in Fig-Balsamic Reduction
Ingredients:
1 1/3 pounds boneless pork chops (I cooked 4 1/2-inch thick chops)
salt and pepper for chops
8 figs (more or less), coarsely chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
olive oil cooking spray


Steps:

  1. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with olive oil spray and add seasoned pork chops (salt and pepper to taste).  Cook about 4 minutes per side.  Remove from pan and keep warm.
  2. Using the same pan (the pork juices will add to the flavor), coat with olive oil spray and saute onions for about 3 minutes.  Add everything else: balsamic, water, soy sauce, and figs.  Reduce temperature, allow to simmer for several minutes until the flavor concentrates. 
  3. Add the pork back into the fig mixture and you're done.
Serving Size:
This makes 4 servings, 1 chop a piece with 1/4 fig reduction. 8 PointsPlus value.

1 comment: